Welcome to Mòd Naiseanta Aimearagaidh, the U.S. National Mòd, an annual celebration of Scottish Gaelic song and culture in North America, featuring competitions, cèilidhs, performances, and workshops.
ACGA will hold its 34th annual US National Mòd, an online celebration of Scottish Gaelic language arts including song, poetry, and storytelling, on Saturday, Nov. 11 and Sunday, Nov. 12, 2023.
This will be our fourth online Mòd, enabling Scottish Gaelic speakers and learners from around the globe to join us from the comfort of their own homes! The weekend begins with competitions and a cèilidh on Saturday and ends with special workshops from our adjudicators on Sunday morning.
All registrants pay a base fee of $25, while competitors pay an additional $20 fee covering all competitions.
This year’s adjudicators will be Lyle and Kerrie Kennedy of Oban, Scotland. Both Lyle and Kerrie are gold medal winners from Scotland’s Royal National Mòd, and have attended the U.S. National Mòd as special guests.
Competitions & Events
The U.S. National Mòd is, at its core, a series of competitions in Scottish Gaelic song, poetry, and storytelling. But the Mòd also is much more than competitions.
- It’s a chance to join a Gaelic community that’s enthusiastic and supportive of learners at every level, from fluent speakers to new beginners.
- It’s a chance to learn Gaelic songs from some of the best singers and instructors from Scotland and Nova Scotia.
- It’s a chance, if you’re a Gaelic learner, to use the language. And it’s a fun weekend with old and new friends.
Our competitions cover several Scottish Gaelic language arts: poetry, storytelling, and song. They include:
- Poetry recitation: Reciting a poem of your choice
- Original poetry: Submitting an original poem
- Storytelling: Telling a short traditional tale in Scottish Gaelic (5-minute time limit)
- Sight-reading: Reading a prose passage in Scottish Gaelic from first sight
- Beginner’s song: Sing one song of your choice
- General song: Sing two songs of your choice
- Accompanied song: Sing a song of your own choice accompanied by an instrument (PRE-RECORDED)
- Sing Together: A duo or group perform a song of their own choice (PRE-RECORDED)
The last two pre-recorded competitions are new options this year.